What is a mentor?
Mentors are people that have more experience or are experts in an area of your professional life that you’re wanting to develop and grow in. Typically, having a mentor involves being accountable to them for growth in that specific area, and meeting up with them monthly, or every few months, to get their input and honest advice on how you could be doing better.
Steps You Should Take When You Decide To Get a Mentor
- Identify the area where you need to grow.
- Identify the steps you need to take to achieve this goal.
- Think about who you want to approach as a mentor: List the reasons why you want to approach them, and what you think they will specifically be able to teach you. If You can’t list ten reasons why they will be a good mentor then forget about it.
- Figure out how long you want this mentorship to last.
- Approach your potential mentor, outlining why you want their help, what it is about their expertise and background that has prompted you to approach them, what you hope to achieve, and for how long you need them.